A Matter of Brilliance is a professional jewelry appraisal company based in Newton, MA, founded by Aimee Berrent, Graduate Gemologist. Our appraisals can be used to:
Vacation season is the time to pack up your favorite outfits, along with your jewelry, so you can shine and sparkle away from home. But just as you keep your wallet safe when you’re traveling, here are some tips from the experts that you can do to keep your jewelry safe, too.
- Take just what you need. You don’t need to bring everything you own — or even your “special occasion” jewelry. One expert suggests that you buy some spectacular costume jewelry and take that along instead. Pack what you’ll really wear.
- Wear it or keep it with you. NEVER leave your jewelry in your checked luggage. Keep it safe in your carry-on bag. Don’t even hand your bag with the jewelry to the bellman; carry it yourself.
- Keep it safe…in the safe. If your hotel (or if you’re on a cruise, your ship) has a safe, use it when you’re not wearing your jewelry.
- Store it for travel. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) suggests putting necklaces through drinking straws to keep them from tangling, and using small plastic bags for storing each pendant and pin separately.
- Take some photos. The GIA has an intriguing suggestion: photograph your jewelry before you leave. That way, if it’s lost, you have visual proof of it.
- Make sure you’re covered. If you’re traveling with your jewelry, make sure you have insurance coverage and an up-to-date appraisal in case it’s lost or damaged. It’s worth a little pre-trip time to safeguard your gems.
If you don’t have a current jewelry appraisal, make sure you get one before you leave on vacation. Let me know if I can answer any questions and help you with appraising your valuables.
Wishing you many happy travels,