A Matter of Brilliance is a professional jewelry appraisal company based in Newton, MA, founded by Aimee Berrent, Graduate Gemologist. Our appraisals can be used to:
Holidays are a popular time to pop the big question. Some proposals come with an engagement ring already picked out; for some couples, a trip to the jeweler’s is the next step.
Before you go engagement ring shopping, here are a few tips:
- What speaks to you? This engagement ring will be a part of your life for the rest of your life. Get a sense of what shape you’d like. What feels most comfortable, what looks best on you. Round and square are the classics, for good reason, especially if you choose a solitaire. But if you want several stones, another shape, like marquis or oval, might speak to you.
- How much can/will you spend? According to the Knot, couples paid an average of $5,855 in 2014 for a ring. While you certainly want to buy a good-quality stone that will bring joy throughout the years, you’re going to have a lot of expenses (wedding!) in the future. Before you visit the jeweler’s get a good idea of what you can comfortably spend.
- Do some homework. It’s an important purchase. Do some prep work before hand about the 4Cs of diamonds. The more you understand, the easier it will be to make your decision.
- Ask for help. A good jeweler can help you find what speaks to you. Ask family and friends for recommendations. Be up-front about what you’re looking for, and ask questions. Most people don’t make a habit of buying diamonds, so you’re in good company!
- This is a wonderful time in your life, so whatever ring you end up buying, enjoy love, love it, and wear it for many, many happy years to come.
As always, if I can help you with anything, let me know!
Brilliantly yours, Aimee
Next week: Taking care of your new engagement ring.